ⓘ Hercules (1997 movie)
Hercules is a 1997 American animated musical movie based on the legendary Greek mythology hero Heracles, the son of Zeus in Greek mythology. The movie was directed by Ron Clements and John Musker, and was produced by The Walt Disney Company. It is the 35th animated movie in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series.
"Go the Distance" was nominated for both the Academy Award for Best Original Song and the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song. It lost both to Celine Dions hit "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic.
- Josh Keaton provided the speaking voice of Hercules as a teenager. Roger Bart was his singing voice.
- Tate Donovan as Hercules, based on the mythological deity Heracles.
- Keith David as Apollo
- Hal Holbrook and Barbara Barrie as Amphitryon and Alcmene, Hercules adoptive parents.
- Danny DeVito as Philoctetes/Phil.
- Lillias White, Cheryl Freeman, LaChanze, Roz Ryan and Vaneese Y. Thomas as the Muses, the narrators of the movies story.
- Bobcat Goldthwait and Matt Frewer as Pain and Panic, Hades henchmen.
- Rip Torn and Samantha Eggar as Zeus and Hera, Hercules birth-parents.
- Amanda Plummer, Carole Shelley and Paddi Edwards as Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos, the three Fates who predict Hades attempt to conquer Olympus.
- Patrick Pinney as the Cyclops.
- James Woods as Hades.
- Frank Welker as Pegasus.
- Jim Cummings as Nessus.
- Charlton Heston has a cameo role as the opening narrator.
- Paul Shaffer as Hermes.
- Wayne Knight as Demetrius
- Susan Egan as Megara.
2. Awards and nominations
- Academy Awards
- Academy Award for Best Original Song - "Go the Distance" Nominated
- Golden Globes
- Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song - "Go the Distance" Nominated
- Saturn Award
- Best Fantasy Movie Nominated
- Blockbuster Entertainment Awards
- Favorite Song from a Movie - "Go the Distance" Nominated
- Favorite Animated Family Movie Nominated
- Young Artist Award
- Best Performance in a Voice Over Role - Young Actor Josh Keaton for Young Herculess voice Nominated
- Annie Awards